2020-21 Child Care for Critical Workers
District 196 will offer free child care for all district-enrolled students age 12 and younger whose parents or guardians are Tier 1 critical workers. The free child care is to be made available when BOTH parents in the household are employed as critical workers and not working from home.
Tier 1 workers include:
- Healthcare and public health
- Law enforcement, public safety and first responders
- Food and agriculture
- Judicial Branch (essential services)
- National Guard (activated under a Governor Executive Order)
- Educators and school staff providing in-person instruction or caring for children of critical workers
- Child care and school-age care providers
Child care is not available for students taking part in District 196 Digital Academy.
Child care will be held on regular school days at the student’s school of attendance during regular school hours following the hybrid model calendar:
- Cohort A: attend in-classroom learning with teacher on Mondays and Thursdays, attend child care with managed independent learning support from non-licensed district staff on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Cohort B: attend in-classroom learning with teacher on Tuesdays and Fridays, attend child care with managed independent learning support from non-licensed district staff on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Start and end times follow the regular school day hours. (early elementary schools 7:45 am-2:05, late elementary schools from 9:25 am-3:45 pm, middle school 8:25am-2:25pm, VMSS 8:15am-1:55pm)
Child care will be staffed by non-licensed district employees, including paraprofessionals, teaching assistants, clerks and child care staff from the YMCA. A portion of the day will be scheduled for students to work on their managed independent learning and the remainder of the time will include enrichment and physical activity.
Breakfast and lunch will be offered each day by District 196 Food and Nutrition Services (for purchase and free, if eligible).
Transportation to and from child care will be provided using regularly scheduled bus routes and times for eligible students.
Child care will be offered the week of September 8. (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Before and after school child care will be provided by the YMCA, for a fee, and requires a separate registration at https://www.ymcanorth.org/child_care__preschool/school_age_care.
Note: You will need to provide a photocopy of your employment ID badge for both parents in a two-parent household in order to complete your registration process. If you do not have an ID badge, a letter from your employer will be accepted. Email a photocopy or picture of your ID badge or letter from your employer to email@example.com to complete your registration.
If you have further questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail at 651-423-7933.